CENTER FOR COMMUNITY ACTION
JOB TITLE: HOUSING COUNSELOR
IMMEDIATE SUPERVISOR: Director of Human Services
STARTING HOURLY RANGE: $12.00-$13.00 per hour; Full Time 35 hrs./wk.;
Overall responsibility: Perform client intakes for the Agency’s Housing Programs and enter information into system databases. Provide information and guidance to households to meet their first-time home purchase. Build relationships with lenders and advocate for the consumer. Housing counseling services will be provided to first-time home buyers, as well as the Housing Program consumers.
- Obtain and maintain necessary client information required by the funding agencies to receive agency services; while ensuring each household is eligible for services by determining income, providing verification, and obtaining all necessary documents.
- Schedule appointments with consumers in a timely manner, while maintaining schedule for effective case management.
- Conduct comprehensive individual pre-purchase; financial capability, post purchase counseling, counseling sessions including but not limited to pre-purchase, financial capability, and credit rebuilding.
- Prepare and maintain consumer case files and update consumer information and case notes into multiple data management systems.
- Become familiar with local financing and mortgage programs that are offered, while reviewing credit reports and making the appropriate referrals to programs deemed on program eligibility and financial recommendation.
- Work with local banks, lenders, Veteran’s Administration, Social Security Administration and other agencies.
- Respond in a timely manner to consumer’s phone calls, resolve consumer/lender/landlord/creditor problems and document account activity in the Agency’s data operation system.
- Attend training sessions, workshops, and/or meetings to enhance services for consumers, stakeholders, and the growth of the agency.
- Ensure successful client outcomes.
- Ensure that all counseling sessions, case management sessions, and referrals are properly documented according to program guidelines.
- Compile reports (monthly) as assigned by the Director of Human Services.
- Occasional travel may be required
- Other duties as may be required.
- Completion of an Associate Degree in Business Administration and two years’ experience in housing counseling (mortgage experience is a plus).
- Ability to provide service in accordance with all state, federal, and regulatory guidelines for the provision of counseling services.
- Computer experience in Microsoft Word, Excel, the Internet, and e-mail usage.
- Good oral and written communication skills.
- Good mathematical skills to conduct accurate income computations.
- Completion of Housing Counseling Certification.
- Skilled in working with office equipment, copiers, facsimile machines, computers, typewriters, calculators, etc.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Ability to maintain client confidentiality.
- Must have a satisfactory credit history.
- Valid driver’s license, reliable transportation, vehicle insurance to comply with Agency standards of coverage, and willing to travel in all the counties we serve, and other counties as required
- Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) fingerprint processed in accordance with Public Law 92522 and Child Protective Services Law (Title 23, PA C.S. Chapter 63), Federal Criminal History Background Check
- Pennsylvania Child Abuse History Clearance
- PA State Police Report of Criminal History Clearance.
I understand and agree to the terms and requirements of the job duties for the position of Housing Counselor